SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM
Students currently enrolled at James Madison University, Blue Ridge Community College, or Bridgewater College and are in the National Guard or Army Reserves may join ROTC as part of the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) provided all enrollment criteria have been met.
The ROTC/SMP program is a volunteer Officer training program designed to increase the number of ROTC Officers available for Reserve Forces Duty (RFD). It encourages enrollment and participation in the ROTC Advanced Military Course and provides the future Officer with leadership and reserve unit experience.
How to join:
- Current National Guard or Reserve soldiers will need to gain approval from your current unit chain of command, and then sign an ROTC contract that enables you to start the program at your unit and enroll in leadership classes here at JMU. If not already in the NG or USAR, you can enlist and then enroll in the ROTC program.
- New soldiers have the option to go to Basic Training first, then contract with ROTC (pending meeting all eligibility requirements).
Here are some benefits of the SMP program:
- You are non-deployable from the time you become a contracted SMP Cadet until you graduate
- You will earn a commissioned as a Second Lieutenant upon graduation
- You will continue to receive Tuition Assistance.
- You can choose to stay in the US Army National Guard or US Army Reserves, or compete to go on active duty and serve in the Regular Army once you graduate
- You immediately begin receiving E-5 (SGT) pay for drill weekends
- You will receive a monthly ROTC stipend of $350-500 a month
- Those who choose to complete Basic and Individual Training are eligible for Reserve component GI Bill at $333 monthly
The purpose of the SMP Program is to: (1) give eligible enlisted members of the Army National Guard and Army Reserve an opportunity to participate in the Advanced ROTC Program; (2) provide Non-scholarship, Reserve Forces Duty scholarship, Military Junior College scholarship, or Dedicated Army National Guard scholarship students an opportunity to serve in an Army National Guard/Army Reserve unit while participating in ROTC.
The intent of the SMP program is to increase Officer accessions into the Army National Guard/Army Reserve Components by increasing ROTC enrollment from enlisted RC members who are attending college. The SMP also reinforces training on the role of the commissioned Officer in the Army and gives Cadets the experience of working with Soldiers and Non-Commissioned Officers.
Upon completion of Basic Training, or equivalent qualification [MSI & MSII, LTC], an Army National Guard/Army Reserve Component Soldier or ROTC Cadet, who has 30 credits towards their major and 3yrs or less to graduation, can contract in the Basic (MSII) or Advanced ROTC Program and earn a commission as an Officer in the United States Army while completing their college degree.
Find out more about the SMP program in the Duke Battalion Cadet Handbook located on the home page.
To discuss your options with the SMP program, contact SFC William R. Winegard at 540-421-1696 or email@example.com.