Skip to Main Content


You are in the main content

I have a hold on my account - what does that mean?

Outstanding obligations or debts to university offices may result in a "hold" or reduction in services available to you, such as enrollment, course adjustments, or issuance of diplomas and academic transcripts. Holds on your record and instructions for clearing them are viewable on MyMadison.  The student will need to work with the department that placed the hold to satisfy the obligation and have the hold removed.

How can I add or drop a class?

View the tutorials at MyMadison Help for assistance.

Classes may be added or dropped on MyMadison through the end of the free add/drop period. Refer to the Dates and Deadlines for each semester for specific dates.

The class I need/want is full. What do I do?

Office of the Registrar Handbook - Permission to Enroll

Enrollment is controlled by the department offering a course. Whether the class is full or you don't meet the requirements for the class, you will need to contact either the instructor or department to request permission to enroll. If you are given permission to enroll, you must then add the class via MyMadison.

What happens when I waitlist for a class?

Two things could happen:

If the department is allowing the waitlist system to process the waitlist automatically, the first eligible student will be enrolled from the waitlist when a seat opens in the course.  This could happen through the add/drop deadline so if you no longer wish to be enrolled, you need to drop the waitlisted course.

If the department is manually managing the waitlist, you will be contacted by the department with permission to enroll yourself into the course.  You will need to drop the waitlist, and then re-enroll into the course.  If you have been provided permission you may continue with enrollment, even if the course is closed.

I got the error message "Unit Limit Exceeded" when I tried to add a class. What does that mean?

Office of the Registrar Handbook - Course Load

There are four levels of "Unit Limits":
1 - Appointment Period (advance registration) = 17 hours  {Note: There are NO exceptions to this rule.}

2 - Open enrollment (free add/drop) = 19 hours  {Note: Permission to go above 19 hours must be obtained from the department head of student's major.}

3 - Open enrollment (during free add/drop, after current semester grades are posted) GPA 3.25+ = 21 hours  {Note: Permission to go above 21 hours must be obtained from the department head of student's major.}

4 - Open enrollment (during free add/drop, after current semester grades are posted) GPA 1.999 or lower = 12 hours {Note: Permission to go above 12 hours must be obtained from the DEAN of student's major.}

How can I add or drop a class after the deadlines?

Office of the Registrar Handbook - Course Adjustment

Adding a class after the add deadline requires the permission of the instructor and department head of the course.  Classes may be added with these permissions through the last day to add a class with permission deadline.  Refer to the Dates and Deadlines for each semester for specific dates.

Withdrawing from a course occurs after the drop deadline.  A student who withdraws from a course before the end of  the course adjustment deadline will receive a grade of "W" for the course.  This grade will be recorded (and remain) on the student's transcript regardless of the status of the student in the course at the time of the withdrawal.  Refer to the Dates and Deadlines for each semester for specific dates.  Withdrawing from a course will not result in a tuition reduction and will not be counted towards GPA.

What is 'Repeat Forgiveness' and 'Repeat Credit' and how do I declare a repeated course?

Office of the Registrar Handbook - Repeating Courses

A student may repeat any of the courses that he or she has taken during an undergraduate career at JMU except courses originally taken and passed on a credit/no credit basis.  All grades will be included when calculating the student's grade point average. There are, however, certain exceptions to this rule.

Students may elect to repeat up to two courses during their enrollment as an undergraduate student at JMU on a "repeat forgiveness" basis. As a result of the "repeat forgiveness" option, the university will exclude the previous grade and credit hours earned for the repeated course when it calculates the student's cumulative GPA and earned credit hours total, regardless of whether the previous grade was higher or lower than the repeat attempt. Both grades will appear on the transcript. The student must either declare the "repeat forgiveness" option at registration or complete the appropriate adjustment form prior to the end of the course adjustment period. A student may not exercise the repeat/forgiveness option for courses in which that student was assigned a grade as a result of an Honor Code violation.  Courses taught on a topic basis are repeatable; however, these courses may only be designated with a repeat credit or repeat/forgiveness credit option if both course attempts have the same topic (i.e. a second attempt of the course GHUM 200 “Western Classics” may only be assigned as a repeat credit or repeat/forgiveness credit if the original attempt of GHUM 200 was taken with the topic “Western Classics”). 

All grades will appear on the student's transcript, but a course that has been repeated will only be counted once toward satisfying graduation requirements.

Courses taken at other universities do not qualify to be taken as repeat/forgiveness. Courses taken in a different JMU career (i.e. Continuing Education) and subsequently transferred to an undergraduate JMU career are not repeatable.  Students may request approval to retake these courses utilizing the audit grading basis only.

If you are receiving financial assistance to attend JMU, repeating courses may alter the aid that you receive.  For more information on how repeating classes may affect your financial assistance, please click here:

What is a "WP" or "WF" grade?

In extraordinary situations, a "WP" (withdrawn passing) or "WF" (withdrawn failing) grade may be assigned at the instructor's discretion upon the student's request to a student who becomes unable to complete some course requirements after the course adjustment deadline.  The form (e.g., verbal, written) and timing of such requests are determined by individual instructors; the student is responsible for ensuring that the request is made in an appropriate manner and at an appropriate time.  In response to such a request, the instructor may choose to record a grade of "WP" or "WF", but is not obligated to do so (and may record any grade other than "W").