These policies have been established to ensure a healthy and safe environment for physical activity. Any misconduct or questions should be reported to a Fitness Assistant or to a UREC Staff Member immediately.
- Participants are not allowed in the Fitness Center without a Fitness Instructor on duty.
- Orientations are not required to use the Fitness Center. However, it is highly recommended that you register for an equipment orientation.
- Individuals 16 and older are allowed to use the fitness center. Individuals between 14 and 16 must attend an orientation before using the Fitness Center. These orientations will be offered on a walk-in basis during family hours. It is highly recommended that a legal guardian attend the orientation session also.
- Individuals between 14 and 16 must be supervised by a legal guardian, on the same floor, in the Fitness Center.
- Towels are available at the Equipment Center. Individuals will need their JACard to check out a towel.
- All non-activity personal belongings must be kept either in the cubbies in the Fitness Center or in a day locker. The fitness staff may not hold any items (valuables included).
- The floor must be kept clear at all times.
- Equipment may only be used for its designated purpose.
- Always ask for assistance before attempting any new exercise.
- Please wipe off equipment after use.
- Observe facility etiquette and demonstrate courtesy toward others in the facility at all times.
- No horseplay or offensive language is permitted.
- This is a smoke and tobacco free facility. No food, chewing gum, glass bottles, or cans are allowed in the Fitness Center. If you wish to carry a beverage with you, it must be contained in plastic with a lid.
- Closed-toe athletic shoes must be worn at all times (no metal buckles or latches allowed). Please check with the Fitness Instructor on duty if you are unsure about your footwear.
- There is a 45-minute time limit on all aerobic equipment when someone is waiting.
- Participants must sign-up to use the elliptical trainers and treadmills.
- It is highly recommended that all workouts on aerobic equipment be completed 10 minutes before closing to allow for adequate cool down and stretching exercises.
- It is highly recommended that you do not wear any type of rubber covering while exercising.
- Please do not sit on equipment between sets. Allow other participants to use the same piece of equipment. Individuals doing multiple sets must allow single set exercisers to continue through the circuit without interruption.
- Plate-loaded machines must be stripped down immediately after completion of exercise.
- Plates and equipment must be returned to their specified location(s).
- Show respect for facility and equipment at all times. Do not throw or drop weights.
- Use of collars (plate restraining devices) is mandatory.
- It is highly recommended that you utilize spotters when necessary (i.e. overhead lifts, squats, and bench work).
- Never attempt to "save" Olympic style lifts.
- No outside personal training is permitted in this facility.
- Items that may damage the equipment upholstery may not be worn while using these machines (i.e. jewelry, weight belts with metal clips, jeans, etc.).
- The use of chalk is prohibited.
- Dumbbells may not be used outside of the designated free weight area.
- Specialized lifting footwear must be approved by the Fitness Instructor(s) on duty (i.e. boots for squatting). However, closed-toe athletic shoes must be worn for all other equipment use.