UREC operates an award-winning recreation facility, opened in 1996, and also utilizes additional indoor and outdoor facilities around campus including the new University Park.
The UREC Mission is to promote and advance healthy lifestyles through educational programs, participation opportunities, and support services. Our qualified staff is committed to excellence and responsive to the developmental needs of our participants. Our Motto is "Motivating Madison into Motion!"
UREC is more than a place to sweat. It is a place to learn about healthy lifestyles and develop positive habits that students can take with them when they leave JMU. UREC is a national leader in the development and use of student learning outcomes in the ﬁeld of collegiate recreation. The department offers over 300 non-credit educational programs a year as well as credit-based courses. UREC is the number one provider of educational programs for the Wellness Passport program in Cluster Five of the General Education Curriculum. UREC is also one of the largest employers of students on campus.
All of UREC's educational program areas are listed on the left navigation of this website!
- Academic Quality: We are dedicated to exemplary learning experiences because they are the essence of our mission.
- Community: We thrive when we collaborate, respect and serve others, and appreciate our interconnectedness.
- Diversity: We strive to be an inclusive community that values the richness of all individuals and perspectives.
- Excellence: We seek to be innovative and to perform at the highest levels.
- Integrity: We pursue ethical reasoning because it is essential to meaningful citizenship.
- Student Focus: We provide experiences that challenge and support students.
Watch our video "Find Your Place at UREC" or click the links on the left navigation to learn more.