Harrisonburg Paratransit is a wheelchair accessible public transportation service operated by the Harrisonburg Department of Public Transportation (HDPT). The service is for JMU students, faculty, and staff who cannot use their own vehicle or a transit bus due to a temporary or permanent disability that impairs mobility.
What is the service area for HDPT Paratransit?
The service is offered for trips within the city of Harrisonburg and on the JMU campus.
When can I access HDPT Paratransit?
The service is available during the same hours that the Harrisonburg Department of Public Transportation operates its' bus system. They require that riders call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule pick ups. To view Paratransit hours, please visit their website.
How much does it cost to ride HDPT Paratransit?
There is no fee for JMU students, faculty or staff to access HDPT Paratransit Service.
How do I apply for services?
- Contact Disability Services and make arrangements to submit Paratransit Registration form and documentation.
- Disability Services will accept these materials via personal delivery, fax, mail, etc.
- Disability Services will register you for services and authorize use of the Paratransit service.
- Set up an appointment with Disability Services to discuss your situation if you need additional accommodations.
How do I schedule services?
- The traveler is responsible for managing their own schedule with Paratransit.
- Call Paratransit 540-432-0492 at least 24 hours before you need to use the service and give them your schedule of pick-up / drop-off times and locations.
- This service is provided on a week-by-week basis. You must call your schedule in to HDPT Paratransit Service each week to continue services.
- Be very specific regarding pick-up locations – verify all locations and times with Paratransit.
- DO NOT keep the driver waiting. Be at your pickup location at the time you requested.
- If you must cancel a trip, call 540-432-0492 as soon as possible.
- Two no-shows for a scheduled pick-up without notifying Paratransit will result in a suspension of services. You must then contact Disability Services and your need will be re-evaluated.
- If any questions or concerns arise while using HDPT, please contact ODS immediately.