Information for Notetaking Volunteers
Throughout the exchange process, it is important to maintain anonymity between the volunteer and the student. Unless the student chooses to share their name with the class, please respect the student’s desire to remain anonymous. It is the volunteer’s reasonability to notify the Notetaking and Accommodations Assistant at least 12 hours in advance if the volunteer is unable to attend class.
Sharepoint is a Microsoft program similar to Google Docs. It allows the volunteers to either upload their notes or write their notes in a new file within Sharepoint. The Volunteer Notetaker will upload the notes for each lecture to Sharepoint no later than 5:00 p.m. the next day after class.
- Attend class regularly and take legible, quality notes
- If your class uses PowerPoint slides, feel free to take notes within the PowerPoint presentation itself
- Notes may also be taken using apps like Notability and Freenote
- Turn the hard copies of notes into an electronic file. There are several ways to do this:
- Scan your notes at one of the libraries on campus (free of charge) or at a scanner of your choice
- Take PDF pictures of your notes using the free app CamScanner
- Save the file to the computer desktop
- In the file name, please include the professor's name, the class number, the date the notes were taken on, and the total number of pages of notes.
- Login into Sharepoint using your JMU email address and password
- Click “Sites”
- Click "ODS Notetaking"
- The link will not be there if you haven't followed our page yet. Please check your email for the link.
- Click “Note Drop Off”
- Find and click on your class’ folder
- Click “Upload”
- Click "Browse" to locate your saved notes
- Double click on your file once located
- Select "Submit"
Carbonless Notebook Exchange
The carbonless notebooks all have white and yellow pages in them. As the volunteer writes on the white paper, it automatically copies onto the yellow paper. Place a folder after the yellow copy so your handwriting doesn't accidentally bleed onto the next set of white and yellow paper. These free notebooks can be picked up at our office throughout the semester.
- Attend class regularly and record legible, quality notes in the carbonless notebook.
- Complete the tracking information requested at the top of every notebook page.
- Share the yellow pages of notes from each class with our office no later than 5:00 p.m. the following business day.
- If our office is closed, put the notes in the gray "Notes Drop Off" box outside the main door.