JMU’s Phi Alpha Theta, Tau Pi Chapter, was established in 1972. Today, Phi Alpha Theta requires members to attend monthly general body meetings and participates in a variety of events on campus:
- Host the fall History department picnic
- Host the annual “Pie-a-Professor” event
- Present at the annual regional PAT conference
- Present at the Biennial National Phi Alpha Theta conference (past locations include Orlando, FL and Albuquerque, NM)
- Fundraise for philanthropic events, like Relay for Life
- Field trips!
We are also responsible for a few JMU history traditions. As an organization, we established the Pie-a-Professor event to endow an annual book scholarship to history majors. We also created and sell the “I Survived 395” t-shirts annually!
Remaining a member in Good Standing in JMU's Tau Pi Chapter requires participating in 3 events per semester. Tau Pi chapter recognizes these members by providing members in Good Standing at the Spring history ceremony in addition to earning the red Phi Alpha Theta sash for graduation.