Graduate Snapshot - Education: Reading Education
Description of Program:
The purpose of the graduate program in reading education is to prepare educators who can function as classroom reading teachers and in specialist roles in the public schools. Goals for candidates completing the reading program include developing expertise in reading instruction for all students, with a special emphasis on struggling readers; becoming experts at assessment, including literacy assessments of individual students and assessments of the literacy program; and becoming leaders in professional development and in collaborations involving literacy instruction with teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, families and communities.
In preparation for these professional roles, candidates in the reading program will develop:
- Knowledge of the foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- An understanding of a wide range of instructional practices, approaches, methods, and curriculum materials to support reading and writing instruction.
- Knowledge of a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluative effective reading instruction.
- Knowledge of how to create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing.
- A view of professional development as a career-long effort.
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Program Website: http://www.jmu.edu/coe/eere/
Catalog Website: http://www.jmu.edu/gradcatalog/14/masters/education-msme.shtml
Application Requirements: http://www.jmu.edu/grad/programs/all-programs/education-reading.shtml