Skip to Main Content

Major Guides

You are in the main content

Communication Studies (B.A., B.S.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: Advocacy Studies, Cultural Communication, Health Communication Studies, Interpersonal Communication Studies, Organizational Communication Studies, Public Relations Studies

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
SCOM 121, 122 or 123CST 100, 105, 110 or 115SPCH 101 or 201SCOM 121, 122 or 123 is a prerequisite for SCOM 240 and 241. See notes below.
SCOM 242CST 200No equivalentMay also transfer as SCOM 122
SCOM 248CST 229No equivalent
SCOM 320CST 126No equivalent
SCOM 340CST 125No equivalent
SCOM 344CST 137No equivalent
MATH 220MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241 and 242Mathematics 217Required for the B.S. degree. See note #3.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Once admitted to JMU, students must declare the communication studies major and register for SCOM 240 and 241 (must be taken concurrently). Admission to the SCOM major is based on availability to the most qualified students as determined by performance in SCOM 240 and SCOM 241.
2. No more than 9 credits of SCOM courses (including SCOM 240 and 241) taken at JMU before being accepted to the major may be counted toward the major once accepted.
3. Students must earn a C or better in all degree requirements. MATH 220 (statistics) is required as one of the math courses for the B.S. degree.
4. Students pursuing a BA degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
School of Communication Studies   
Advising guides by community college   
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Communication Studies
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students