Commencement on the Quad
Foreign Language Requirements
Foreign language is not a requirement for general admission to the university; however, some academic programs require a foreign language. Click here for information on JMU's foreign language requirements.
Honor Code Test
All transfer students, regardless of whether or not they have earned a transferable associate degree, are required to complete the JMU Honor Code Tutorial and Test. Click here for more information.
B.A. and B.S. Degree Requirements
Students have a choice of earning a Bachelor of Arts degree (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in many, but not all, majors at JMU. It is important to understand which degree you are completing, because both the B.A. and B.S. degrees require additional course work beyond the major requirements.
Degree requirements for the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), Bachelor of Music (BM), and the Bachelor of Individualized Studies (BIS) are embedded within requirements for the major.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
1. Intermediate proficiency in a foreign language. Any foreign language may count, but you must complete course work through the intermediate level (foreign language course 232 at JMU). Because it is a proficiency requirement, you may also place out of a language by completing the foreign language placement test once you are a matriculated JMU student.
Note: JMU does not grant credit for introductory levels of a foreign language if you completed two or more years of that language in high school.
2. One philosophy course. Any philosophy course except one that transfers as GPHIL 001, 120 or 150 may count toward the B.A. degree, including a course that transfers as "PHIL 000" (an elective).
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
1. Quantitative requirement (one math course).
2. Scientific literacy requirement (one natural or social science course).
For a list of JMU courses that satisfy B.A. and B.S. degree requirements, click here. Courses which transfer as elective credit ("000") in the approved disciplines will also count toward degree requirements.
Major, General Education and Degree Requirements
In many cases, general education courses may also be used to fulfill major requirements. In addition, degree requirements may also double-count as major requirements. However, degree and general education requirements must be taken separately and may not double-count.
B.A. and B.S. Degree Requirements for Students with an Associate Degree that fulfills General Education requirements
Students with a JMU-approved transferable associate degree need the following to complete the B.A./B.S. degree requirements:
- B.A. - Intermediate proficiency in a foreign language (through the placement test or coursework) and a philosophy course.
- B.S. - A minimum of two math courses, and a combination of three natural and/or social sciences (at least 3 credits each).
Graduation Requirements for Transfer Students
JMU requires a minimum of 120 credit hours for graduation. If you are offered admission to JMU, you must complete all prerequisite, major, program and degree requirements to graduate. You must also meet the following requirements:
- Earn a minimum of 25% of credit hours (30 credits for degree programs of 120 credits) at JMU.
- Earn at least 50% of credit hours (60 credits for degree programs of 120 credits) accepted by JMU from accredited senior (four-year) institutions of higher education, including JMU.
- Meet course prerequisites for the major regardless of where general education requirements were completed.
For more information on graduation requirements, and to see a copy of the graduation checklist, click here.