Skip to Main Content

Transfer Advising

You are in the main content

Information for Students Transferring Credit from Outside of the United States

Admission to the University

International students must complete the international student application. For more information, go to the Office of International Admissions.

Obtaining Transfer Credit 

Obtaining transfer credit for coursework completed outside the US:

1. Request an international credential evaluation.   

Choose a credential evaluation service that is a member of The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).  The service will prepare a report to estimate the equivalent number of credits earned and your grade point average on a US scale.  The University does not recommend or endorse any one service. 

Examples of credential evaluation services:

World Education Services (WES)

Global Credential Evaluators (GCE)

Request a course-by-course evaluation.  The company will usually request that you have copies of your official transcripts be sent directly to them using a reference number or form they provide.  

2. Ask the company to send a copy of the international credential evaluation report to the Office of International Admissions.  

James Madison University
Office of International Admissions
Sonner Hall, MSC 0101
481 Bluestone Drive, 
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

3. Check your Transfer Credit Report.

After the Registrar's Office has received a copy of your credential evaluation report and official copies of your transcripts, they will enter the transfer credits you have earned onto your Transfer Credit Report. To view this report, log in to MyMadison, click on the Academics tab, click on Student Center, then select Transfer Credit Report from the drop down menu. 

4. Contact Academic Departments to determine equivalent credit.

You may find some classes appear on your transfer credit report having “000” as the course code.  If this is the case, you can ask the relevant academic departments to review your courses to decide if what you studied is similar to what we offer at JMU.  Please provide the academic unit head with a copy of your course descriptions in English for the courses for which you earned 000 credit.   

In order to be considered for transfer credit, coursework must be completed satisfactorily with the equivalent of a grade of “C” or better on a US grading scale.  Please note the credential evaluation is simply an estimate of the US equivalent of your grades and credits earned.  It is not a guarantee of credit.  You may or may not receive transfer credit at JMU for all of the courses you have studied elsewhere.  The final decision about awarding transfer credit rests with the academic department. 

For questions related to the international transfer process, contact JoAnn Benjamin, International Transfer Advising Coordinator. 

General Education Program

All students must complete JMU's General Education Program.

International Student Support Services

The Office of International Programs offers programs and services designed to support the unique needs of international students. Information on immigration and visa services is also on this site.