Mathematics (B.A., B.S.)
Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.
|JMU Course||VCCS Course||RBC Course||Notes|
|MATH 235||MTH 173 or MTH 273 or MTH 175 and 176||Mathematics 201|
|MATH 236||MTH 174 or MTH 274||No equivalent|
|MATH 237||MTH 277||No equivalent|
|MATH 300||MTH 285||No equivalent|
|MATH 336||MTH 279 or 291||No equivalent|
|MATH 318||MTH 243 and 244||No equivalent|
|PSYC 160||PSY 230 or 231 and 232||Psychology 250||Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.|
|EDUC 300||EDU 200||No equivalent||Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.|
Advising NotesPlease Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
1. Students who take MTH 175-176 at the community college and plan to enroll in MTH 277 should take 277 at the same campus where they took 175-176.
2. Students should not take MTH 270 or 271; these will not count toward the major.
3. Students who complete the equivalent of MATH 220, Elementary Statistics, at the community college will be able to take additional statistics classes without needing to complete MATH 318 at JMU first.
4. The combination of MTH 175-176-177-178-277-279 will fill requirements for JMU MATH 235-236-237-238.
5. Students planning to transfer in Mathematics and Statistics are encouraged to complete the appropriate associate's degree before transfer. It is strongly recommended that students complete at least MTH 173-174 or MTH 273-274 before transfer.
6. Students seeking teacher licensure in mathematics must also complete the pre-professional secondary education program. See links below for more information on teacher education for transfer students.
For more information:
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students