Hospitality Management (B.S.)
Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
|JMU Course||VCCS Course||RBC Course||Notes|
|ECON 201||ECO 202||Economics 202|
|COB 204||See advising note #2||Computer 202|
|ACTG 244||See advising note #3||See advising note #3|
Advising NotesPlease Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
1. Hospitality Management is a new major which began in Fall 2010, and is housed in the School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management.
2. Transfer credit for COB 204:
Northern Virginia CC and Southside CC: ITE 100
New River CC: CSC 110
Blue Ridge CC, Lord Fairfax CC and Piedmont VA CC: ITE 120
3. There is no direct equivalent in the VCCS or at RBC, however if students complete both ACC 211 & 212 (VCCS) or Business 201 & 202 (RBC), that will satisfy the ACTG 244 requirement.
4. It is important for students intending to transfer for HM to start working on the required 600 hours of related work experience before transferring to JMU. This is a pre-requisite to one of the HM junior year courses. Approved businesses and industries that will meet this requirement are hotels, motels, catering companies, restaurants, food services for college dining halls, resorts, travel companies, airlines, cruise ship lines and event management companies. Students can provide copies of pay stubs or a memo from their supervisor documenting the number of hours worked.
5. HM students also earn a minor in General Business. Differential tuition for College of Business majors/minors will take effect Fall 2014. Students will be charged an additional $50 per credit for all College of Business courses (with the exception of ECON 200). Click here for more information.
For more information:
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students