Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Engineering (B.S.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: -

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
MATH 235MTH 173 or MTH 273 or MTH 175 and 176MATH 201
MATH 236MTH 174 or MTH 274No equivalent
MATH 237MTH 277No equivalent
PHYS 240, 140L, 250, 150LPHY 231, 232 or PHY 241, 242PHYS 201, 202
BUS 160BUS 100No equivalentNot required, but helpful for the engineering management courses.
CHEM 131, 131L, 132, 132LCHM 111, 112CHEM 101, 102
ENGR 112EGR 110 and 120 or EGR 115 and 120No equivalentVCCS students must take both EGR 110 and 120 or 115 and 120 in order to earn credit for ENGR 112.
ENGR 212EGR 140 and 245, or EGR 240 and 245No equivalentVCCS students must take both EGR 140 and 245, or 240 and 245, in order to earn credit for ENGR 212.
ENGR 313EGR 251, 252 and 255No equivalentVCCS students must take EGR 251, 252 and 255 in order to earn credit for ENGR 313.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Admission to Engineering is limited. Click here to view the admission requirements. Because there are no VCCS equivalents for some of the ENGR prerequisite courses, that generally mean students will be at JMU for three years.
2. Students who are completing an engineering associate degree at a school that doesn't offer the equivalent of ENGR 112 (EGR 115 + EGR 120), should transfer in the spring. ENGR 112 is only offered in the spring at JMU.
3. JMU has an articulation agreement with Blue Ridge Community College.
4. Requests for individual transfer credit evaluations should be directed to the Transfer Advising Coordinator or the Engineering Student Coordinator.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
Department of Engineering
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Engineering
Advising guides by community college

JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students