Concentrations: Environmental and Natural Resources Economics, Financial Economics, International Economics, Political Economy, Socioeconomics
Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
JMU Course: ECON 200, Introduction to Macroeconomics
- VCCS equivalents: ECO 201
- RBC equivalents: ECON 201
JMU Course: ECON 201, Introduction to Microeconomics
- VCCS equivalents: ECO 202
- RBC equivalents: ECON 202
JMU Course: MATH 205, Introductory Calculus I or MATH 235, Calculus I
- VCCS equivalents: MTH 173 or MTH 175 or MTH 213 or MTH 270 or MTH 271 or MTH 273
- RBC equivalents: MATH 201 or 207
JMU Course: COB 191, Business Statistics
- VCCS equivalents: BUS 220 or BUS 221 or BUS 216 or BUS 224 or MTH 241 MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241
- RBC equivalents: MATH 217
This major guide is a list of all possible
major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
Differential tuition for College of Business majors/minors: Students will be charged an additional $50 per credit for all COB courses (with the exception of ECON 200). Click here for more information.
1. Students may not transfer in more than 9 credits of economics that will count toward the major.
2. Students pursuing a B.A. degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.
For more information:
Department of Economics
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Economics
College of Business
Advising Guides by Community College