Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Earth Science (B.A.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: -

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
GEOL 102 or 110GOL 105, 106 or 110 or ENV 121 or NAS 101 and 102 or NAS 125No equivalent
GEOL 211GOL 111 or MAR 101No equivalent
GEOL 320NAS 125No equivalent
BIO 140BIO 101BIO 101
CHEM 131, 131L, 132, 132LCHM 111, 112CHEM 101, 102
PHYS 140, 140L, 150, 150LPHY 201, 202 PHYS 101, 102
MATH 205 OR 235MTH 173 or MTH 175 or MTH 213 or MTH 270 or MTH 271 or MTH 273MATH 201 or 207
PSYC 160PSY 230 or 231 and 232PSY 250Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.
EDUC 300EDU 200No equivalentRequired for students pursuing teacher licensure. Students must earn a grade of B or better to meet secondary education requirements.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Students are required to complete at least 16-17 hours of cognate science credit outside geology. Students can meet that requirement at the community college by choosing from the above science and math courses.
2. Students pursuing a BA degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.
3. Students seeking teacher licensure in earth science must also complete the pre-professional secondary education program. See links below for more information on teacher education for transfer students.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
Department of Geology and Environmental Science
Secondary Education Program
Admission to Teacher Education
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Earth Science
Advising guides by community college
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students