Concentrations: -

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.

JMU Course: PSYC 101

  • VCCS equivalents: PSY 200 or PSY 201 and 202
  • RBC equivalents: PSY 201 and 202
  • NOTE:

JMU Course: PSYC 160

  • VCCS equivalents: PSY 230 or PSY 231 and 232
  • RBC equivalents: PSY 250
  • NOTE:

JMU Course: CSD 420, 421

  • VCCS equivalents: ASL 101, 102
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: Sign language is not a major requirement, but it is helpful in the field, especially for students interested in audiology.

JMU Course: MATH 220

  • VCCS equivalents: MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241 and 242
  • RBC equivalents: Mathematics 217
  • NOTE:

JMU Course: BIO 103-ISCI 104 or BIO 140

  • VCCS equivalents: BIO 101, 106 or 145 or ENV 195 (see notes) or 295 (see notes) or NAS 161 and 162
  • RBC equivalents: Biology 101, 101L
  • NOTE:

    ENV 194 only transfers from Rappahannock and Reynolds Community College.

    ENV 295 only transfers from Rappahannock Community College.

JMU Course: ISCI 101, 101-104 or CHEM 131-131L

  • VCCS equivalents: CHM 101, CHM 110 or CHM 111 or ENV 220 or NAS 101 and 102
  • RBC equivalents: CHEM 101
  • NOTE: CSD majors should take either a chemistry or a physics course.

JMU Course: ISCI 101-104, PHYS 140-140L or PHYS 240-140L

  • VCCS equivalents: PHY 100, 101, 121, 201, 231 or 241
  • RBC equivalents: Physics 101 or 201
  • NOTE: CSD majors should take either a chemistry or a physics course.

JMU Course: EXED 200

  • VCCS equivalents: CHD 210
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE:

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. In addition to major requirements, a biological sciences and a physics and/or chemistry course is required. Students may meet this requirement by completing a general biology and either a physics or chemistry course at the community college. See equivalents above.
2. Because of the sequencing of CSD major courses, students are advised to transfer early (i.e. after one or one and a half years at the community college). This allows students to begin introductory courses in their sophomore year and gives them the time necessary to build a stronger foundation in the discipline. Because a graduate degree is required to be able to practice in the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology, a solid preparation at the undergraduate level is important.
3. Students pursuing a BA degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Communication Sciences and Disorders
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Back to Top