Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Studio Art (B.A., B.F.A., B.S.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: For the B.F.A.: Ceramics, Fiber Arts and Weaving, Metals and Jewelry, Painting and Drawing, Photography, Printmaking and Sculpture

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
ARTH 205, 206ART 101, 102 or ART 201, 202ART 201, 202
ART 102ART 131ART 101
ART 104ART 121ART 103
ART 106ART 132ART 102
ART 108ART 122 or ART 221ART 104For the BFA in Studio Art
PSYC 160PSY 230 or PSY 231 and 232PSY 250Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.
EDUC 300EDU 200No equivalentRequired for students pursuing teacher licensure.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Students must submit a portfolio of their work in order to be considered for admission to the art program. See the department's web site for review dates and more information on the portfolio. Please Note: Architectural, Graphic and Industrial Design are now listed as separate majors; please refer to the major guides index to view those major guides.
2. It is possible for students to receive upper division studio art credit in transfer, however course content (course description, course syllabi, and/or samples of work done in class) may be required to determine transferability.
4. Art Education - students desiring PK-12 teaching licensure in art must complete 23 credits of additional course work in art education, education and psychology, and 16 credits of student teaching. For more information contact the Art Education Coordinator, Dr. William Wightman. See links below for information on education for transfer students.
5. Students pursuing a BA degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
The School of Art, Design and Art History
Admission to Teacher Education
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Art
Advising guides by community college
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students