Safe Zone educates JMU faculty, staff, and students about issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and questioning individuals (LGBTQIQ) and their loved ones.
ARE YOU IN THE ZONE?
• Trans Infographics: Great infographics from TSER. These reflect current research and theory and are great for classes.
• When A Friend Comes Out To You: Of course, every person is different, as is every coming out conversation, but here's some language to have on hand, just in case.
• What is an Ally? Step One from HRC.
• Being An Ally: Step Two - Understanding Active Oppression – Indifference – Oppression Through Lack of Action – Growing as an Ally – Challenging Oppression – Joining an Ally Support Network – Challenging heterosexist Systems.
• Allies vs. Advocates: Let's do both!
• LGBT Timeline: From CNN.
• More Self-education: A great list of links to great places for learning more about a variety of LGBTQ+ topics.
• Policy Guidance: Best practices for supporting LGBTQ+ students on college campuses including (application) forms.
• Title IX Guidance: "Dear Colleague Letter" on transgender student rights and the responsibilities of educational institutions under Title IX.
• JMU EEO Policy #1302: Includes gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information (among others).
• JMU Discrimination and Harassment Policy #1324: Includes gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information (among others).
• LGBTQ+ Equality I: Advocating for LGBTQ+ equality in the workplace.
• LGBTQ+ Equality II: The national LGBTQ+ Equality Act.
• LGBTQ+ Equality V: Against Equality - The Blog.