Safe Zone educates JMU faculty, staff, and students about issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and questioning individuals (LGBTQIQ) and their loved ones.
ARE YOU IN THE ZONE?
• The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Ally (LGBTA) Education Program strengthens, maintains, and promotes a campus community that welcomes all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, through education, support, advocacy, and fostering equity. It is located on the 4th floor of Warren Hall. (540) 568-LGBT.
• JMU’s Counseling and Student Development Center provides a Pride Support Group- An open and affirming gathering for those in the process of exploring sexual and gender identity issues as they relate to self-understanding, relationships, and daily functioning. This educational/support group provides lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students the opportunity to share and explore issues and concerns in a safe environment. Diverse points of view will be equally respected and explored.
• Shenandoah Valley Gay and Lesbian Association - The SVGLA’s purpose is to create a safe, affirming, and fun environment where members are empowered to reach their full human potential.
• ROSMY - is a non-profit agency that provides support services for Richmond area gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. Our youth center offers support groups, a computer lab, a library, and social opportunities for GLBTQ youth age 14-20. ROSMY also conducts trainings and workshops for adults who work with youth.
• Equality Virginia - is a statewide, non-partisan lobbying, education and support network for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and straight allied (GLBT) communities in Virginia.