It is our goal at UREC to prepare you to lead your own adventure trip safely. Please read over the following three crucial steps to planning a safe and effective adventure trip.
Step 1: Trip PlanningWhere are you going?
- Outdoor Guide to the Shenandoah - View the PDF!
- Local Rock Climbing: Want to try some outdoor climbing but don’t know where to go? Here are some local climbing spots that are within reasonable driving distance. Participants are reminded that climbing is inherently dangerous, and should only climb outside with proper training and equipment. For more information, ask any Adventure Assistant. View the PDF!
- Local Camping Guide - View the PDF!
- Shenandoah National Park Hikes - View the PDF!
- George Washington National Forest Hikes - View the PDF!
- Local Backpacking Trips (2-3 Day Hikes) - View the PDF!
- What weather do you expect?
- What terrain challenges do you expect?
- What is the level of experience with your group?
- How long will the trip take?
- Do you have maps of the area?
- How will you get help if there is an emergency?
- What meals will you want to eat?
Step 2: Logistics
- Purchase food.
- Obtain camping/backpacking supplies. - View the PDF!
- Don’t forget batteries and stove fuel.
- Make sure everyone has the personal items the need.
- Make sure you can treat your water.
Step 3: Leave someone with your plan.
- Where are you going?
- Who is going with you?
- When should they expect you back.