Madison Orientation Adventure Trips (MOAT)
MOAT is a 3-day adventure-based orientation program. The MOAT experience is designed to give you an opportunity to build social connections with other trip members and introduce you to the amazing local natural areas surrounding Harrisonburg.
These student-led backpacking, canoeing, and rock climbing trips begin at 5:30 pm. For your convenience, trips are scheduled to start after Summer Springboard, however, matching your orientation date to MOAT is not required. You will meet your leaders and other participants and spend the night at the University Recreation Center before heading out on your MOAT trip the next morning. All trips will involve primitive camping (no showers) and do not require any previous experience.
2014 MOAT Trips
- June 12-15: Transfer Student Adventure Sampler
- June 26-29: White-Water Kayaking
- June 30-July 3: Canoeing the Shenandoah River
- July 7-10: Rock Climbing George Washington National Forest
- July 8-11: Mountain Biking
- July 10-13: Adventure Sampler
- July 14-17: Rock Climbing George Washington National Forest 2
- July 15-18: Mountain Biking
- July 17-20: Adventure Sampler 2
- If you are registering before early May, you may need to select "Summer 2014" on the "Currently Viewing" drop down menu above the course listing to see MOAT programs. Click on "Madison Orientation Adventure Trips" to see trip descriptions and available spots.
- Since newly-committed students will not have an active JMU E-ID and password at this point, please create a guest account (in the student's name). You will now be able to register for MOAT!
The cost for the MOAT trip is $225.00 and includes instruction, leadership, equipment, and meals. Cancellation and refund policy: Occasionally, we have to cancel MOAT trips due to low enrollment or other factors. In the event this happens, participants may choose to transfer to another MOAT trip or receive a full refund. Decisions regarding cancellations will be made seven days prior to the trip. It is suggested that participants who will be flying to Harrisonburg purchase travel insurance in the event of a trip cancellation. Requests to cancel a MOAT trip registration will be handled on a case by case basis. Generally, requests made 10 days or less from the start of the trip will not be refunded.
Questions? Contact Guy deBrun.
UREC also offers TEAM Challenge Course Orientation programs!