Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Online Room Selection Photo

Housing Contracts (Terms and Conditions)

In order to live in the residence halls, a student must have a signed housing contract.

The Office of Residence Life will make contract offers to students who submitted housing applications based on availability. Contract offers are made to a student's @dukes email address and have a deadline for contract acceptance.

The contract is binding and you cannot cancel it at a later date. If you sign a contract for the upcoming academic year you will have a space in the residence halls. You will be billed for residential housing and a resident meal plan.

View Housing Contracts

The following pdf files are for reference only. If there are any discrepancies between your signed contract and those included below, the signed contracts supersede the online previews.

2014-2015 Housing Contract

2015-2016 Housing Contract

2016-2017 Housing Contract

Housing Contract FAQs

What is a Housing Contract?

  • A Housing Contract is a legally binding document that, when signed electronically, commits a student to live in the residence halls during the upcoming year and reserves a space for the student according to the Terms and Conditions of the Contract.
  • Students must complete a Housing Application in order to be considered for a Housing Contract offer.
  • The University does not guarantee residential housing for any student after their freshman year.

How do you decide who is offered a Housing Contract?

  • Current freshmen will be given priority for Housing Contracts. Contracts are then offered on a first come, first served basis to applicants who are currently living on campus, then to new incoming transfers, and finally to students who are currently living off campus.
  • If you are offered a Contract and wish to reserve a space on campus you should review the Terms and Conditions of the Contract and electronically sign the Contract if you agree to the Terms and Conditions.
  • The contract will be binding for the entire academic year for which it is signed and may only be canceled within 5 business days after it is signed.

When and how should I complete a Housing Contract?

You must first apply for residential housing. Applications for the 2016-2017 academic year are available through the Online Housing System starting at 1:15 pm on Monday, October 5, 2015. Based on space availability you will receive an e-mail to your JMU account with either a contract offer or a message about your application.

What happens after I sign a Housing Contract?

Students with signed housing contracts will be able to complete the Online Room Selection process in February and March.

How do I cancel my Housing Contract?

To cancel your Housing Contract within 5 business days after electronically signing it, email the Office of Residence Life at

To request cancellation of your Housing Contract at any other time you will need to use the online Contract Release Request. Contact the Housing Office at (540) 568-4663 or for additional information.