In the Indian system: a minimum average of 60 on a 100 point grading scale. Or the equivalent in the U.S. system: a 'B' average or a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 GPA grading scale. If your high school uses a different grading scale, please contact us.
If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you may still be considered for admission. Please contact us to explain your situation.
Please contact us for country-specific transfer information.
English Language Requirement for Nonnative Speakers
Demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Minimum score from one of the following tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- IBT (Internet Based TOEFL): 80
- PBT (Paper Based TOEFL): 550
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5
- Score of 500 on the Critical Reading Portion of SAT exam
- Submission of a General Certificate of Secondary Education or General Certificate of Education "O" level in English language
- Possession of an American associate's or bachelor's degree equivalent from an accredited institution located in a country where English is the native language.
- Graduation from an accredited high school in a native English-speaking country where the applicant has resided for at least four years.
Completing Your Application
A completed international application to JMU must include the following:
- Application, submitted online or by mail (download).
- Transcripts or statement of marks of all secondary and post-secondary education, translated into English. Transcripts must be complete. For applicants still enrolled the transcript or statement of marks must also include grades for the most recent term. The transcript must be an original copy certified by the sending institution.
- One letter of recommendation.
- Proof of English language proficiency for nonnative speakers.
- Financial certification form. This form must be completed by the student's sponsor or financial guarantor and submitted with the requested documents.
- (Optional) Standardized test scores: Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing Assessment (ACT).
- Copy of your passport from your home country.
- If applicable, copy of your current U.S. visa documents.
- $60 application fee.