The major is a part of the Department of Marketing, an academic unit within the College of Business.
As part of the nationally recognized JMU College of Business, the marketing major prepares students to assume professional and leadership roles in the rapidly changing, technically-oriented and competitive world of marketing by helping students develop specialized skills in the management of customer relationships through the creation, communication and delivery of value to customers. The curriculum provides a solid foundation of the knowledge and skills needed to develop effective marketing efforts. The major offers two concentrations: business-to-business and business-to-customer.
Students gain knowledge and experience through general education courses, the College of Business core curriculum, and the marketing major with various combinations of required and elective marketing courses. Marketing faculty and staff work with students in small classes and individually to help them build leadership and team skills. Strong connections are made between in-class study and the business world through experiential course projects, case studies, simulations, independent studies and internships.
Business to Business Marketing
Business to Consumer Marketing
Declaring the Major
New Freshmen and Transfer Students
Students declare the Marketing major when they register for orientation. Any student admitted to JMU can declare any major offered by the College of Business; however, students are not formally admitted into the College of Business until certain requirements are met as listed in the section "Progressing in the Major."
Currently Enrolled Major Changers
If students wish to change their major to Marketing they must be in good academic standing (have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher) on the date they submit a "Change or Declaration of Major" form, which is available in the Academic Services Center located in Zane Showker Hall, room 205. Declaring a Marketing major does not guarantee full admission to the College of Business. Students will not be fully admitted to the major until requirements are met as listed below.
Other Declaring Information
Admission to the Major
Full Admission to the College of Business
Declaring a business major does not guarantee full admission to the College of Business.You must formally apply for full admission to the College of Business by submitting an application for admission during the semester in which you are completing the lower-level B.B.A. core courses.Students are formally admitted into the College of Business as a B.B.A. degree seeking major and permitted to register for COB 300, Integrated Functional Systems, when the following requirements are met:
- A completed application for admission into the College of Business is submitted to the College of Business Academic Services Center located in 205 Zane Showker Hall, according to the following schedule:
- October 1 for the upcoming spring semester
- March 1 for upcoming the summer session and fall semesters
- All 10 lower-level Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) core courses are successfully completed as follows:
- First Year (It is recommended that you complete the following five B.B.A. core courses by the end of the freshman year):
- COB 191. Business Statistics or MATH 220. Elementary Statistics
- COB 204. Computer Information Systems
- ECON 200. General Education Macroeconomics
- ECON 201. Microeconomics
- MATH 205. Introductory Calculus or MATH 235. Calculus I
- Second Year (It is recommended that you complete the following five B.B.A. core courses by the end of your sophomore year):
- COB 202. Interpersonal Skills
- COB 218. Legal Environment of Business
- COB 241. Financial Accounting
- COB 242. Managerial Accounting
- COB 291. Introduction to Management Science
- Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 in the B.B.A. lower-level core courses (excluding MATH 205). The B.B.A. core GPA is calculated using grades earned in the B.B.A. lower-level core excluding calculus (MATH 205 or MATH 235). Only grades earned at JMU will be used. The university policy for calculating repeat-credit and repeat-forgiveness will be followed.Students with a 2.7 B.B.A. core GPA are assured admission into the College of Business and COB 300. Students who meet all of the requirements above but fail to achieve a 2.7 B.B.A. core GPA will be admitted to the College of Business and COB 300 based on B.B.A. core GPA ranking, and pending resources and space availability.
- Admission is granted within one calendar year of the applicant's first application. Two applications, in consecutive semesters of enrollment, are permitted.
Progressing in the Major
Students must maintain good academic standing with at least a GPA of 2.0.