Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
|JMU Course||VCCS Course||RBC Course||Notes|
|THEA 251||CST 131||Theatre 115|
|THEA 271||CST 145||No equivalent|
|THEA 315||CST 231||No equivalent|
|THEA 316||CST 232||No equivalent|
|THEA 355||CST 241||No equivalent|
|DANC 140A, 142A, 144, 146 or 245||DAN or PED 160, DAN or PED 166, DAN or PED 171, PED 163 or DAN or PED 167||No equivalent||See note #4 - must be a 2 credit course to get specific credit.|
|PSYC 160||PSY 230 or PSY 231 and 232||Psychology 250||Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.|
|EDUC 300||EDU 200||No equivalent||Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.|
Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
1. Admission to the theatre major is competitive and an audition or portfolio review and interview is required. Contact the school office by calling (540) 568-6342 pr visit the School of Theatre and Dance website for current audition information.
2. Because of the sequencing of coursework, students who transfer with an appropriate associate's degree should expect to spend approximately three years at JMU to complete this major, unless they have a solid collection of transfer credits in theatre.
3. Theatre majors earn a B.A. degree. The B.A. requires intermediate proficiency in a foreign language and a philosophy course. Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.
4. Theatre majors must complete a 2 credit dance course as part of the core requirements.
5. Theatre Education - students desiring PreK-12 teaching licensure in theatre must complete 8 credits of additional course work in education and psychology and 12 credits of student teaching. It is necessary to be admitted to the teacher education program prior to enrolling in professional education courses. See links below for information on applying to teacher education.
For more information:Major Snapshot
School of Theatre and Dance
Admission to Teacher Education
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Theatre
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students