Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Physics (B.A., B.S.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: Individual Option, Professional (for the B.A.) and Applied Physics Physics/Engineering Combined Program, Fundamental Studies, Multidisciplinary (Biophysics, Geophysics, Physics and Business, Physics and Technical and Scientific Communication, and Secondary Education), Individual Option (for the B.S.)

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
PHYS 240, 140L, 250, 150LPHY 241, 242PHY 201, 202
PHYS 270PHY 243No equivalent
CHEM 131, 131L, 132, 132LCHM 111, 112CHEM 101, 102Only CHEM 131, 131L is required for the B.A.
MATH 235MTH 173 or MTH 273 or MTH 175 and 176MATH 201
MATH 236MTH 174 or MTH 274No equivalent
MATH 237MTH 277No equivalent
BIO 140 or GEOL 110BIO 101 or GOL 105No equivalent

Only required for the B.A.

PSYC 160PSY 230 or 231 and 232PSY 250Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.
EDUC 300EDU 200No equivalentRequired for students pursuing teacher licensure. Students must earn a grade of B or better to meet secondary education requirements.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

Why major in physics? Check out this video!

1. Students may want to consider taking PHYS 247, the 2-credit lab for physics majors, when they enroll at JMU. It replaces 140L and 150L, although those labs will also count for the major.
2. Students may transfer in the equivalent of PHYS 270, however at JMU the prerequisite for PHYS 270 is PHYS 260 and there is no equivalent course at the community college. Whether or not transfer students have to complete 260 when they enroll at JMU will be decided by the department on a case by case basis.
3. Students who transfer in with an approved associate degree are considered to have met all of JMU's general education requirements. These students will have only math and science courses left to complete their degree at JMU. Because of course sequencing and the rigor of the program, students may need more than 4 semesters to complete the degree. Additionally, students may have to take elective courses to maintain a full-time course load, which may result in graduating with more than 120 credits.
4. Students seeking teacher licensure in physics must also complete the pre-professional secondary education program. See links below for more information on teacher education for transfer students.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Secondary Education Program
Admission to Teacher Education
Pre-professional Health Programs
Advising guides by community college    
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Physics
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students