Concentrations: Business Analysis and Consulting, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management
Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
JMU Course: COB 191 or MATH 220
- VCCS equivalents: BUS 220 or BUS 221 or BUS 216 or BUS 224 or MTH 241 MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241
- RBC equivalents: MATH 217
JMU Course: COB 202
- VCCS equivalents: BUS 270
- RBC equivalents: No equivalent
- NOTE: Only transfers from BRCC
JMU Course: COB 204
- VCCS equivalents: See advising note #3
- RBC equivalents: CSCI 202
JMU Course: COB 218
- VCCS equivalents: BUS 241
- RBC equivalents: No equivalent
- NOTE: Only transfers from BRCC, DSLCC, LFCC, NVCC, PVCC & TCC
JMU Course: COB 241, 242
- VCCS equivalents: ACC 211, 212
- RBC equivalents: BUS 201, 202
JMU Course: ECON 200, 201
- VCCS equivalents: ECO 201, 202
- RBC equivalents: ECON 201, 202
JMU Course: MATH 205 or 235
- VCCS equivalents: MTH 173 or MTH 175 or MTH 213 or MTH 270 or MTH 271 or MTH 273
- RBC equivalents: MATH 201 or 207
JMU Course: COB 291
- VCCS equivalents: BUS 227
- RBC equivalents: No equivalent, must take at JMU. See advising note #5.
- NOTE: Only offered at BRCC and PVCC. Students studying at other community colleges should see advising note #5.
This major guide is a list of all possible
major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
Differential tuition for College of Business majors/minors:
Students will be charged an additional $50 per credit for all COB courses (with the exception of ECON 200). Click here
for more information.
1. Students who achieve a 2.7 GPA in the 10 B.B.A. core courses (listed above), with the exception of calculus, will be assured admission to the College of Business and COB 300. Only grades for courses taken at JMU will be used in the GPA calculation.
Students who fail to achieve a 2.7 B.B.A. core GPA will be admitted to the College of Business and COB 300 based on B.B.A. core GPA ranking, and pending resources and space availability.
2. Lord Fairfax CC students:
You should take BUS 241 as an elective in your program – it is required as part of JMU's BBA core.
3. Transfer credit for COB 204:
Northern Virginia CC and Southside CC: ITE 100
New River CC: CSC 110
Blue Ridge CC, Lord Fairfax CC and Piedmont VA CC: ITE 120
4. Students transferring with a transferable associate's degree and
who have completed the majority of courses listed above should strongly consider transferring in the summer and completing the remaining core courses. They will then be eligible to apply to the major and begin the upper-level coursework in the fall.
5. The prerequisites for COB 291, Management Science, are calculus and statistics. In addition, a solid background in Excel will help students be successful in this course.
Admission directly into the College of Business for Blue Ridge Community College Students:
BRCC students who meet the following criteria will be automatically admitted to the College of Business and allowed to enroll in COB 300 and junior level courses. Note: Students must first be admitted to the university through the normal admissions process.
1. Completion (at BRCC) of BUS 221, BUS 270, ITE 120, BUS 241, ACC 211-212, MTH 270, ECO 201-202 and BUS 227 with a grade of B- or higher.
2. Cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher.
3. Completion of at least 60 credits (junior standing).
4. Fulfillment of all JMU General Education requirements (in most cases, AA&S degree completers).
For more information:
College of Business
Advising guides by community college
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Management