Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.
|JMU Course||VCCS Course||RBC Course||Notes|
|BIO 114||BIO 114||No equivalent||Only offered at BRCC. BIO 101 is the prerequisite for BIO 114 at BRCC; it is not a prerequisite to take BIO 114 at JMU.|
|CHEM 131, 131L, 132, 132L||CHEM 111, 112||Chemistry 101, 102|
|MATH 235||MTH 173 or MTH 273 or MTH 175 and 176||Mathematics 201|
|MATH 220||MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241 and 242||Mathematics 217|
|PHYS 140, 140L, 150, 150L||PHY 201, 202 or PHY 231, 232 or PHY 241, 242||Physics 101, 102|
|CHEM 241, 241L||CHM 241 and 242 and 243 and 244||Chemistry 230 and 231||Students who complete a full year, including labs, of organic chemistry at the community college will receive credit for the first semester and lab at JMU and 4 additional elective credits that can be applied toward graduation.|
|BIO 214||BIO 206||No equivalent||Students must take BIO 101 and CHM 111 as prerequisites to BIO 206 in order for it to transfer as BIO 214.|
Advising NotesPlease Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
1. Effective fall 2008 BIO 101, 102 will no longer transfer as BIO 114, 124 from the community colleges. This is because the content of the Biology major courses differs significantly from BIO 101, 102. Students will receive 8 credits for BIO 101, 102 in the form of GBIO 103 (3 cr), GSCI 104 (1 cr), and BIO 000 (4 cr). GBIO 103 and GSCI 104 will count toward JMU's general education requirements.
2. BRCC students who plan to take BIO 114 should take BIO 101 first. BIO 101 is the prerequisite for BIO 114 at BRCC.
3. Students from other Virginia community colleges are strongly advised to complete the required chemistry and physics coursework and wait to begin the biology major courses at JMU. However, students who wish to have an introductory background in biology before transferring may elect to take BIO 101, 102, but should be aware that they will not count toward the biology major.
4. All students interested in the Biology major should obtain credit for college chemistry (CHEM 111 and 112) prior to enrolling at JMU. Chemistry is the prerequisite for many biology major courses.
5. Students who transfer in with an approved associate degree are considered to have met all of JMU's general education requirements. These students will have only math and science courses left to complete their degree at JMU. Because of course sequencing and the rigor of the curriculum, students with associate degrees should be prepared to spend up to 3 years at JMU to complete their degree.
6. Students seeking teacher licensure in biology must also complete the pre-professional secondary education program. See links below for more information on teacher education for transfer students.
For more information:Major Snapshot
Department of Biology
Secondary Education Program
Admission to Teacher Education
Advising guides by community college
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students