- January 24 - February
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Meet the Scientist: Saturday Morning Physics
For the fifth year, the Physics and Astronomy Department in collaboration with JMU’s Outreach & Engagement, invite high-school students and science teachers to take part in an engaging enrichment program developed in a sequence of six easy-to-follow scientific exploration events.
- February 27
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Educate, Engage, Inspire!
2nd Annual K-12 STEM Educator’s Workshop
For more information: contact Kathy Lubkowski
JMU STEM Sponsors Booth at USA Science and Engineering Festival
The JMU Center for STEM Education and Outreach sponsored a booth at the third USA Science and Engineering Festival in Washington, DC on April 26 and 27. Approximately 250,000 people attended this festival in the free and open the public Expo promoting the STEM fields.
The JMU booth was shared by five groups of faculty and students representing different areas of STEM education and outreach from JMU. Each group brought interactive displays and activities that connected well with the public and kept our booth very busy the entire time.
The five groups were:
- Robots and Natural Disasters by First Lego League led by Dustin Skelton
- Imagine it, Design it, Create it by Cindy Klevicks and Oris Griffin.
- Idea to computer to object by David Slykhuis and students Daniel Suter and Emily Chapin
- Come and Play with Computer Science by Nancy Harris, Farzana Rahman, and Sharon Simmons
- A Spoonful of Soil by Crystal Croshaw and students Nicholas Minahan, Michael Yeager, Victoria Wilson, Alexis Broulette, Misha Suresh, Dennis Churchin, and McKenzie Quinn.
Dustin Skelton, Cindy Klevicks and Oris Griffin also presented in the special Sneak Peak event on Friday, April 25, 2014 that was open to school groups.