UREC Facility Rentals and Reservations
UREC is a state-of-the-art recreation facility located in the heart of JMU's campus and the Shenandoah Valley. With over 278,515 square feet of recreation space, UREC can host a variety of events including, but not limited to team practices, tournaments, after-Prom activities, birthday parties, company and organization retreats, climbing wall group outings, swim practices and meeting spaces.
Any JMU Department or Student Organization may request to reserve UREC facility space in the Virtual Event Management Software (EMS). Log in with your
MyMadison credentials. Faculty and staff have access and anyone can browse for space, but student organizations must first become Nuts & Bolts certified in order to reserve
Space. Non-JMU affiliated groups can contact UREC Senior Assistant Director for Reservations and Events (540-568-8718) to inquire about rentals.
Nuts & Bolts Training
Student organizations wishing to reserve event space must have a certified Nuts & Bolts representative within their org to use the EMS software. Visit the Nuts & Bolts website to view the training and complete the test for certification. Once your representative receives confirmation, they’ll be able to use their eID to log in and reserve space.
Policies & Procedures
Requests are handled on a first come, first serve basis. Student organizations may typically begin requesting UREC space three weeks prior to the start of each semester.
- Completely fill out the VirtualEMS request.
- Request will be processed and notification of its status will be sent within three business days (with exception to university closures).
- Cancellations must be made 48 hours prior to the event. If this deadline has passed, up to 10% penalty will be assessed to the organization.
- If your request requires space rental fees and/or special staffing, you will be contacted with these details.
- If fees occur, an invoice will be sent after the event. Payment must be received by the University Business Office by the date on the invoice, checks payable to James Madison University
- After you’ve made your reservation, you may also need to submit a JMU Event Approval Form and gather the appropriate signatures for your event. You can find the JMU event approval form online on the EMS website under event forms.
We manage all UREC indoor and outdoor spaces. This includes everything from indoor & outdoor recreational space, meeting rooms, and other large event style spaces. For a complete list of spaces with photos, set-up types, capacities, and fees, please click on the links below.
- Indoor Meeting Spaces (link coming soon)
- Indoor Recreation Spaces (link coming soon)
- Outdoor Recreation Spaces (link coming soon)