If you are an International Affairs major who is a native or heritage speaker of a non-English language, please follow the these steps to be tested for proficiency:

Speakers of French, German, Russian and Spanish need to

  1. Take the Foreign Language Placement Exam.  
  2. Retake the placement exam in the Language Resource Center in Keezell 103 and score 650 or higher.
  3. Print the results and take BOTH the 1st and 2nd results to Keezell 301.

The Academic Unit Head will notify the International Affairs Department that you have proven your proficiency in the language.  You will be required to take two other courses to substitute for the foreign language courses. See your INTA advisor for details.

Speakers of other languages need to contact the coordinator for their language to arrange for proficiency testing. See the Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures website. 

Note:  if you wish to declare a Spanish major or minor, or a Latin and Caribbian Studies minor, you will need to receive Credit By Examination for SPAN 300. See this page for more information.

Back to Top