Welcome to Justice Studies
Justice Studies is committed to offering an interdisciplinary, intellectually challenging and vocationally relevant course of study for persons interested in academic or applied careers in justice studies at the community, national or global level.
To carry out this mission, Justice Studies seeks to:
- Help students develop a comprehensive understanding of Justice Studies.
- Examine and explain justice and injustice and their impact on individuals, communities, institutions and/or nations.
- Understand human behavior and interactive systems with a focus on negotiation and conflict resolution in justice contexts.
- Sharpen students' ability to think and reason critically, to practice sound methodological skills and to communicate effectively.
- Prepare students to utilize and produce scholarship in the field of Justice Studies.
Justice Studies offers students a choice of three tracks in the major:
The Justice Studies major is not a Criminal Justice program. JMU does offer a Criminal Justice minor, which is a cross disciplinary minor designed for students who are preparing for careers in law enforcement, corrections, judicial administration or other areas related to the study or management of crime.