Board of Visitors Meeting, May 2, 2008, Summary of Actions/Discussions
From: Public Affairs
Board of Visitors Meeting, May 02, 2008
Summary of Actions/Discussions
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, May 02, 2008, in the Board Room of Madisonís Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- Approved January 11, 2008 BOV meeting minutes;
- Heard and approved committee reports from Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development;
- Approved Strategic Leadership Doctorate of Philosophy;
- Received a Capital Outlay update, presented by Mr. Charles King;
- Received a General Assembly update, presented by Mr. Charles King;
- Approved 2008-2009 Tuition and Fees;
- Approved 2008-2009 Budget.
- that Mr. Charles Foster (JMU BOV Member) received Virginiaís Lifetime Achievement in Industry Award for 2008;
- that Dr. George Sparks from Florida Atlantic University has been hired as the new Dean in the College of Visual and Performing Arts;
- that Matt Brady from Marist College has been hired as the new Menís Basketball Coach;
- that JMU garnered the most freshman applications ever during its Centennial Year (more than 19,350);
- that JMUís College of Business moved up to 20th among public universities and is in the top five percent of all business schools nationally;
- that the University received a five million dollar gift from Bruce and Lois Forbes;
- that the University received a two and one-half million dollar gift from Dick and Shirley Roberts;
- that the new James Madison Statue was dedicated. The statue was a gift from Bruce and Lois Forbes.
# # #