Conversation Partner Program
The application deadline for spring 2017 is January 24th
The Conversation Partner Program is an exciting opportunity for mutual cultural exchange while practicing conversation skills in English and other languages (foreign language is not a requirement) between the international student and domestic student. Partners will meet one on one for at least one hour per week. Discussion topics will be provided weekly to facilitate conversation and monthly activities will be hosted for the conversation partners.
The Conversation Partner Program was originally developed to assist international students in their adjustment to life at James Madison University and to the United States. Through collaboration, the program also focuses on providing opportunities for students returning from Study Abroad to continue their global learning, for students interested in fostering relationships with individuals from around the world, and for students who wish to practice another language with a native speaker. A brief list of benefits for participating in the Conversation Partner Program is listed below. We hope you will become a participant!
Benefits for international students:
- Learn about the culture of the United States (US) and US colleges and universities
- Practice conversational English
- Share your culture and experiences
Benefits for domestic students:
- Learn about another culture (preparation for study abroad or international careers)
- Practice another language with a native speaker (Arabic, Mandarin, Korean, etc)
- Share about the US culture and your experiences
- Applications will be accepted at the beginning of each semester, deadline for Spring 2017 is January 24th.
- Partners will be matched within the first few weeks of the semester.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate your preferences; however your preferences are not guaranteed.
- You will be will recieve information about your conversation partner by email.
Contact International Student and Scholar Services by phone: (540) 568-6119 or by email: ISSS@jmu.edu