Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Research Scholars

A research scholar is anyone coming to the U.S. for the purpose of conducting research, delivering occasional lectures, etc. under the sponsorship of a U.S. institution. Research scholars coming to JMU for a period longer than 9 days will be sent a DS-2019 by JMU to obtain a J-1 visa. A J-1 visa holder is permitted employment only pursuant to the exchange program agreement under which s/he entered the United States, and at the location(s) noted on the DS-2019. A J-1 scholar/professor should refer to the written agreement with JMU to determine eligibility for employment. A copy of this agreement will be required by International Student and Scholar Services prior to the issuance of a DS-2019 and prior to the approval of employment documents at JMU.

If a Department is interested in bringing an international scholar to JMU under the J-1 visa sponsorship, a Request to Host J-1 Visa International Exchange Visitor must be completed and returned to International Student and Scholar Services, MSC 5731. 

In general, a J-1 Scholar may be employed only by the sponsoring institution. However, if the sponsoring institution gives prior permission, the Scholar may participate in occasional lectures or short-term consultations at a different institution. This additional employment must be incidental to the main purpose of the stay and must not cause a necessity for an extension of the DS-2019.

Prior to the visiting scholars arrival at JMU, departments should attend to all pertinent tasks identified on the Department Checklist for Sponsoring International Scholars.