A-to-Z Index

Joblink FAQ's for Hiring Managers

Where do I go to create a Hiring Manager account?

Go to http://www.jmu.edu/humanresources/emp/joblink.shtmland click on the "Create User Account" link. Most accounts are approved within 24 hours. The link can also be reached through the Human Resources website at www.jmu.edu/humanresources.

What do I do if I forget my password?

Call the HR Service Center at 540-568-6165.

Who should have access to the applications?

Generally anyone involved in the hiring process can have access to the applications. If they are on the selection or interview committees they will need to see the applications.

How do I give people access to applications?

a. If the person needs the ability to edit the status of an applicant you will add their names to the "Departmental User's with permission to access" box on the "Posting Details" tab when you create the posting.

b. If they only need to be able to view the applications you will create a "guest user" account and distribute the user name and password to whomever needs it. The guest user account is a separate tab available when you submit a recruitment request. This option is mostly used for search committee members and allows the user to view all applicant materials but does not allow the user to change the statuses of applicants.

Where can I find the screening criteria information?

When you log-in there is a column called "Posting Number" and under each posting number there is a link called "Get Reports List." Select this link and open the "Screening Grid." This is your new screening criteria sheet. When you submit a recruitment request there will be a tab available to enter screening criteria, which will then appear on the Screening Grid.

What does it mean to close a position?

Closing a position simply means that the position can no longer be viewed on the applicant side of JobLink and that no more applicants can apply. A search can always be reopened if you feel the current applicant pool does not meet the requirements of the position. However, if you reopen a search after it has been closed it will again need to be open for the minimum required days (7 calendar days for classified and wage and 30 for faculty).

When should I close a position?

When you feel you have an adequate applicant pool of qualified applicants to choose from you should close your position. Classified and Wage positions must remain open for 7 calendar days and Faculty positions must remain open for 30 calendar days. Once these minimum posting requirements has been met you can close your position. It is a good idea to close the position once you start to review applications. Some hiring managers choose to leave a position open during this process and get to the point where they want to offer the position to someone only to find they now have ten or twenty more applications that must be reviewed. Remember, ALL applicant materials for each candidate that applies must be reviewed and evaluated on your screening grid.

How do I "Fill" a position?

First you must change the status of each applicant. This can only be done by the person who created the position or anyone designated as a Departmental User for that position. Once you log in, select the "view" link below the Working Title. A list of applicants will appear. In the Status column, select the "change status" link and change each applicant's status to the appropriate designation. Once you have changed the status of all the applicants and only have the person(s) you are hiring, you can select the View Posting Summary button > select either the Filled - No Email or Filled - Send Email designation (if you select "Filled - Send Email" a system generated email will be sent to those candidates that were not interviewed notifying them that the position has been filled) > select the Continue button > select the Confirm button.

Where do I send my recruitment materials?

  • All classified and wage search materials, including Screening Criteria, Interview Question & Notes, Reference Checks for candidates who were not hired and any other recruitment materials should be sent to Human Resources at MSC 7009 where the material is stored for three years.
  • All Instructional and AP Faculty materials should be kept by the department for three years.
  • Reference Checks for newly hired and rehired Classified, Wage and Instructional and AP Faculty positions should be sent along with the PAR to MSC 7009.