A-to-Z Index

Home > Employment > FAQ

What types of jobs are available?
How are jobs advertised?
What should I put on the application?
How is my application evaluated?
Are there Pre-Employment Restrictions?
How can I contact the HR Service Center if I have questions?
Where is the HR Service Center located?
"Your Right to Know"

Q: What types of jobs are available?

A full-time, salaried position that may include a wide variety of work ranging from administrative, professional, office, clerical and skilled crafts to service and maintenance. Employees in this category are covered by the Virginia Personnel Act.

A part-time position working no more than 1,500 hours in a consecutive 365-day period. Job duties vary depending on need. Employees in this category are NOT covered by the Virginia Personnel Act.

Instructional Faculty
A faculty position (part-time or full-time) with primary responsibilities that include teaching, research and service.

Administrative Faculty
A faculty position (part-time or full-time) with primary responsibilities that include management or administration but does not include teaching.

A short-term position used to supplement the work force during seasonal or temporary workloads, to provide interim replacements or to perform short-term projects.

Student (On and Off Campus)
A part-time, on or off-campus position available to currently enrolled (at least part time) JMU students. Job duties vary depending on need.

A position that is provided all Commonwealth of Virginia benefits, including vacation and sick leave, family personal leave, short-term disability benefits, medical and life insurance plans and a retirement program.

A short-term or long-term, non-salaried position that is ineligible for Commonwealth of Virginia benefits.

Q: How are jobs advertised?

Each job advertisement includes the job title, posting number, the department or school, salary range or hourly rate, a brief description of job duties and qualifications, and any special requirements.

Classified and wage positions are generally advertised in a display ad in the classified section of Harrisonburg's Daily News Record on Saturdays. Positions requiring a wider recruitment range are advertised in additional newspapers and publications.

Vacancies are also found on the JMU JobLink website.

All classified positions are listed in the RECRUIT system, a statewide job vacancy posting program listing current classified vacancies within the state system. All state agencies list vacancies with RECRUIT for a minimum of five consecutive working days.

The Virginia Employment Commission makes job announcement information available through its local offices.

Q: What should I put on the application?

Before applying for vacant positions, you should carefully read the job advertisement to be sure that you are interested in and possess the required qualifications for the position. Be aware of any conditions of employment (such as work schedules, work required licenses, etc.).

You should describe in detail all of your training and experience, including both paid and volunteer, being careful to complete all sections. Emphasize any qualifications you have that are described in the job announcement. You should also describe any internships, practicum experiences and field or laboratory experiences gained through work or education and training. For example, if you are applying for a secretary senior position, describe duties performed in any secretarial experience you have had, software packages with which you are proficient, keyboarding or other skills, and related course work and training etc. For applicants in the service maintenance or skilled crafts areas, describe any apprenticeship programs or classes you have taken in any of these areas. Also list equipment you have operated, as well as types of jobs you worked on, i.e., residential, commercial, etc.

Q: How is my application evaluated?

Applications will be screened by the hiring managers who will then select and contact applicants for interviews. The length of time for this selection process will vary depending on the number of applications received.

Q: Are there pre-employment restrictions?

James Madison University hires only those individuals eligible for employment in the United States. If you are hired for a position, you are required to present evidence of your identity and legal authorization to work within the first three days of your employment. Positions require a criminal conviction check before a final offer of employment is made. Direct Deposit of your earnings is a condition of employment.

Q: How can I contact the HR Service Center if I have questions?

Telephone: (540) 568-6165
Fax: (540) 568-7916
TDD Users: (800) 828-1120 (Virginia Relay Service)

Q: Where is the HR Service Center located?

Office of Human Resources
HR Service Center
MSC 7009
752 Ott St
Wine Price Building
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

"Your Right to Know"

Your personal safety and the security of the campus community are of vital concern to James Madison University. A copy of the university's annual Harrisonburg campus, Washington Semester and London Semester security reports are available upon request.

This report includes statistics for the most recent three-year period concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by James Madison University, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes information regarding the law enforcement authority of the university police; policies concerning campus security, such as crime prevention, alcohol and drug use, sexual assault, state sex offender registry, missing person investigation procedures and the reporting of any crimes that may occur on the campus.

You can obtain a copy of these reports by contacting the Office of Public Safety, Crime Prevention Unit, MSC 6302, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (540)568-6766/6769. This information is also available by clicking on the "Your Right to Know" links for the "main" and London campuses at: http://www.jmu.edu/pubsafety/index.shtml