1. Acquire a basic grounding in the vocabulary, morphology, and syntax of Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). All subsequent mentions of “Arabic language” on this page should be understood to be referring to MSA.
2. Acquire a basic understanding of Arabic texts (in translation) and material culture, including major monuments, sites, and works of art.
3. Practice the skills needed to use Arabic dictionaries, grammars, and other resources to read intermediate Arabic texts accurately and to deal comfortably with at least some advanced texts in Arabic.
1. Understand Arabic speech at a basic level dealing with everyday life situations.
2. Speak Arabic at a basic level in everyday life situations.
3. Master the Arabic alphabet and proficiently read fully vocalized Arabic texts.
4. Write basic sentences and short essays in Arabic.
5. Identify, produce, and explain basic Arabic grammatical structures.
6. Acquire and develop Arabic vocabulary.
1. Recall specific facts or definitions of key terms about Arabic language.
2. Understand Arabic speech at the intermediate level.
3. Speak Arabic at the intermediate level.
4. Read Arabic at the intermediate level.
5. Write Arabic at the intermediate level, with the ability of writing essays in Arabic on specific topics.
6. Identify, produce, and explain more advanced Arabic grammatical structures.
1. Place ideas, theories, and principles in the cultural and historical contexts of the Islamic world in general and the Arabic-speaking world in particular.
2. Express ideas or arguments clearly and persuasively in Arabic and English.
3. Recall specific facts or definitions of key terms specific to Islamic civilization in general.
4. Assess the varied interpretations of cultural products (e.g., artifacts, works of art, literary texts) from the Islamic world in general and the Arabic-speaking world in particular.
5. Locate information and judge the credibility of its source in sources in Arabic and English.
6. Identify and describe the major trends within Islamic civilization through the centuries.