Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content
Cover Photo Image


All students must declare a major by the beginning of their sophomore year.  Transfer students who enter JMU with 30 or more credit hours must declare a major upon acceptance to the university. 


A minor is a program of study requiring completion of 18 to 24 credit hours of coursework.  The university offers a wide array of minor programs that allow students to augment their academic majors with another area of focused study. Students complete minors for a variety of reasons: strong interest in the subject, enjoyment of the discipline, and/or to develop specific skills and knowledge. 

Declaring a Major or Minor

Students may declare or change their major or minor by completing the Change or Declaration of Major/Minor form available from the Office of the Registrar. The form must be signed by the coordinator or department head for the academic program. Signed forms must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.