Skip to Main Content













Academic Planning

You are in the main content

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
10:00am - 5:00pm
10:00am - 3:30pm

Roop Hall, Room 201

Meet the MAPs

Madison Advising Peers

Madison Advising Peers logo

Who We Are

The office of University Advising in collaboration with the Student Government Association  implemented a new JMU undergraduate peer advising program in the fall of 2009 called "Madison Advising Peers".  

Madison Advising Peers (MAP) are JMU students who care about their fellow students and are committed to helping them achieve their college goals. MAPs work in conjunction with faculty advisors by providing supplemental academic advising information and assist other JMU undergraduate students who may have general advising questions, but don't know where to go.   A MAP can be a supportive and friendly resource for students who feel overwhelmed and confused. 

Advising Topics MAP's Can Assist Students With

Which General Education check sheet do I follow?
What are the cluster requirements in General Education?
How do I know if I've met all of my General Education requirements? 
How do I find out who my advisor is and when should I meet with him or her?
How do I remove a hold from my record?
When can I register for classes?
Is there a list of courses offered in the summer at JMU?
How do I read my degree progress report?
How do I map out an academic plan?
Can I take a course at home in the summer and transfer the credit to JMU?
How do I request a course override?
What is the difference between repeat forgive and repeat credit?
How do I declare a minor or pre-professional program?
What questions should I ask my faculty advisor when I meet with him or her?
Where can I find information about progression standards for my major?
Where do I go to get information about studying abroad?
How do I change my major?
What minors are offered at JMU?
What is the difference between the BA and BS degree?
When do I apply for graduation? 

Meet the MAPs

David Bui

Major: Finance

Minors: CIS and Math

Interests: Piano, Painting, and Tennis

Campus Affiliations: Golden Key and Financial Management Association

Jennifer Wernimont

Majors: Dance and Communication Studies with a concentration in Health Communication

Interests: Coffee, choreography, Blue Like Jazz, football season, Meryl Streep in It's Complicated, and hammocks

Campus Affiliations: InterVarsity Christian Fellowship small group leader, Associate Dance Ensemble co-director, and Dance/Theatre Community Service co-chair

Lauren Crain

Major: Business Managament

Minor: Conflicy Analysis and Intervention

Interestes: Crafting, the beach, Disney World, John Mayer, Maroon 5, country music, and hanging on the quad 

Campus Affiliations: Student Ambassadors, 2012 FrOG

Paige Mullen

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders 

Minor: Exceptional Education 

Interests:  Future member of Destiny’s Child, speaks Minionese, and likes the movie Anchorman

Campus Affiliations: JMU Unaccompanied, Sigma Alpha Lambda, and Overcoming Barriers

Kim Easterling

Major: Biology, Pre-dental

Interests: Running, skiing, baking, and my dog

Campus Affilliations: Club cross-country 

Spencer Dukoff

Major: Media Arts & Design with a Journalism concentration

Minors: Creative Writing and Music Industry

Interests: Music, Tennis, and Breakfast Cereal 

Campus Affiliations: Exit 245, Student Ambassadors, and Make Your Mark on Madison

Jessica (Jay) Hayden

Graduate Assistant / Program Coordinator for Madison Advising Peers 

3rd year, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Graduate Program 

Interests: Movies, camping, running, crafts, and watching funny animal YouTube’s 

Lauren Maher

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders

Interests: DIY, Movies, Cooking/ Baking

Campus Affiliations: Honors Program, SafeRides, and InterVarsity Christian Fellowship

Adam Shoeb

Major: Health Sciences, Pre-Dental

Minor: Biology

Interests: Sports, movies, dogs, going to the gym, and spending time with people I love

Campus Affiliations: Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity

Tala Curry

Majors: Finance and Biology, Pre-medicine Program

Interests: Netflix, sweet tea, football season, and snowboarding

Campus Affiliations: Boarderline and American Medical Student Association