Transfer Application Stages
- View our majors
- Come for a visit
- Join our mailing list
- Research financial aid and scholarships
- Review the courses are likely to transfer to JMU
- Familiarize yourself with JMU graduation requirements
- Keep up your grades! JMU will not accept a C- or lower for transfer credit
- Complete your application. Include:
- The online application
- $60 application fee
- Official college transcripts, including transcripts for any dual enrollment classes taken in high school
- Official high school transcripts or GED results
- Official ACT or SAT I test scores
- Intent to enroll (for VCCS students applying under the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement)
- Fine arts and nursing majors have special requirements
- View dates and deadlines
- More on the transfer application process
Check your status
- Check your status on MyMadison. We'll email you access instructions a few days after your application is received.
- Application/Mail Processing Status. See what documents our office is currently processing.
- View MyMadison tutorial
Transfer Application Process
To apply, we must receive the following by the application deadline to consider your application:
- Online application and application fee
- All College Transcripts (this includes a college transcript for any dual enrollment classes taken during high school)
- Final high school transcript or copy of GED certificate (not required if you have received a Bachelor’s degree)
- SAT/ACT scores (if you have not completed 30 credit hours in college or are over the age of 25 at the time of your application)
- Signed Letter of Intent (if you are a Virginia community college student applying under the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement)
Your application consists of several parts, some will arrive in our office electronically and some will arrive as paper copies. Please be certain that all materials can be clearly identified to assist us in matching the parts of your application. The Admissions Committee cannot review incomplete applications. We urge you to begin the process early to allow enough time to complete the application. All items necessary to complete the application must be postmarked by the corresponding deadline dates.
JMU does not accept applications from students who are seeking a second Bachelor's degree. If you have previously received a Bachelor's degree and want to continue your education, you could either apply to one of our graduate school programs or apply as non-degree seeking student to our Outreach & Engagement programs.
Online application and fee
Please use our online application and pay the application fee. This fee is not refundable and will not be credited to your account.
Send official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Concealing previous attendance at a post-secondary institution is cause for canceling admission and registration. You must also send transcripts from any dual enrollment coursework from high school.
Official high school transcripts or GED results
All applicants must submit an official high school transcript or an official copy of GED results, regardless of the number of years out of high school.
Official SAT I or ACT scores
Students who have earned 30 credit hours or more at the time of application and students older than 25 years of age may omit standardized test scores.
Intent to Enroll (for select Virginia community college students)
For students applying under the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement, please send a letter of intent to enroll available from the counselor at your current school.
You may complete a personal statement discussing your personal goals as they relate to your interest in transferring to JMU.
Send paper application materials to:
James Madison University
Office of Admissions
481 Bluestone Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Checking Your Status
You can monitor the status of your application via MyMadison. Admissions decisions are also posted here — you will not receive a notification in the mail. Instructions for accessing this site will be e-mailed to you within 3-5 days of receiving your online application.