JMU stands ready to help student veterans
“As the military begins to downsize following a decade of conflict, roughly 2 million veterans will be leaving the military. Hopefully, over half of them will utilize their educational benefits and enter some form of advanced education,” says Boyce McClellan, president of James Madison University’s Student Veterans Association.
JMU has made it a priority to provide resources specifically aimed at helping veterans make the transition to college life.
Student Veterans Association
- Mission: To provide resources, support and advocacy in a campus community for student veterans, service members and military family members.
- The group, made up of undergraduate students, adult degree students and graduate students, works to build a community of student veterans, service members and military family members at JMU.
- Open to veterans, dependents and non-veterans.
- Contact: check out the group’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JMUSVA
Veterans Benefits Office
- Mission: To assist veterans, members of the National Guard and Reserves, parents and dependents with requesting Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits.
- Staff members from the offices of University Business and Financial Aid assist students from their respective areas using either federal or state benefits for educational purposes.
- Contact: http://www.jmu.edu/registrar/veterans/contactinfo.shtml
Veteran Scholars Task Force
- Mission: To collectively enhance the educational experience for student veterans on campus.
- Comprised of administrators, staff, veterans and faculty who are working to explore the ways in which JMU can continue to reach out to veterans, improve services and understand the unique needs veterans may have.
Counseling and Student Development Center
- Mission: To help veterans cope with the potential difficulties of returning to normal, everyday life.
- An extensive description of expected reactions and challenges veterans may face can be found here: https://www.jmu.edu/counselingctr/resources/for-veterans.shtml
- Contact: Melinda Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org
For see more resources available to JMU student veterans visit: http://www.jmu.edu/oeo/VetsatJMU.shtml
Published: Thursday, November 14, 2013
Last Updated: Thursday, March 3, 2016