Exercise is Medicine
Based on the philosophy that physical activity is one of the most important factors in the prevention and treatment of disease, Exercise is Medicine (EIM) was developed to encourage health care professionals to advocate for physical activity when treating patients. This global health initiative is supported by The American College of Sports Medicine and The American Medical Association. Visit the EIM webpage for more information: http://www.exerciseismedicine.org/
Exercise is Medicine - On Campus (EIM-OC) is a branch of the movement that aims to create change in college and university communities. The Morrison Bruce Center has teamed up with UREC and University Health to bring EIM to JMU.
The MBC's EIM-OC initiatives have also included participation at the following events:
- EmpowHER – an event designed to provide JMU women resistance training-focused education and the opportunity to experience the UREC weight room in a comfortable and open setting.
- TypeOneNation Summit Children’s Program – an event hosted by the JDRF to provide a safe space for kids with Type I Diabetes to interact with kids just like them while being active.
- Teen Health Fair – a 2-day health expo for high school students.
- Girls and Women in Sport Day – an event hosted by JMU Athletics to celebrate girls' and women's participation in sports.
- Gus Bus Literacy Nights – a reading road show where the MBC presented on the importance of less screen time and more physical activity.
- Life's Too Sweet – an educational workshop for the families of children with diabetes.