Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a hold on my (student's) account?

Our office places holds on accounts with past due charges. Tuition and fees are considered past due after the Friday of the first week of the semester. Charges can also be from other areas (e.g. Parking, Health Center, and OSARP), and these charges are considered past due once transferred to our office.

Where do I pay for Room Rent and Board (Meal Plan)?

To pay for just room and board login to your M3 account and click on "Make a Payment". Once you are there you will find a breakdown of the charges on your account at the top of this page. You can individually select which charges you want to pay or you can "Pay All" at the bottom.

Note: To sign up for on-campus housing please contact Residence Life or call them at 540-568-4663. 

Note: You can sign up for a meal plan at Card Services or call them at 540-568-6446. You can pay for your meal plan on your M3 account or send a check to the UBO. 

What are the Course Fees and Tuititon Differential items on my account?

Some classes have additional tuition or course fees.

  • Differential tuition is extra tuition charged based on the course's credit hours. College of Business (COB) and Nursing (NSG) courses are assessed differential tuition.
  • Course fees are an extra flat fee charged with the class.

For more information on tuition charges, please visit our page on tuition and fees here.

If you have a question dealing with your course fees please contact the respective department.

With any other questions you can contact the University Business Office at or 540-568-6505. 

When is my payment due?

The due date is the Friday of the first week of the semester.

Why haven't I received a statement yet?

All student statements are online. Notification of these statements is through the student's JMU email account. This notification will explain to the student how to log into the system. Parents may also be set up as Authorized Users who can then view (and if they desire pay) the statement online as well.

Where can I mail a personal or scholarship check?

Make checks payable to James Madison University.

Please include the student's ID number or other form of identification so that we know to which account to apply the check.

Please send checks as well as any other correspondence to our office:

University Business Office
   738 South Mason Street
   MSC 3516
   Harrisonburg, VA 22807

For overnight mail, please use:
   University Business Office
   738 South Mason Street
   MSC 3516
   Harrisonburg, VA 22807

I have a hold, can I still eat?

Our holds only prevent changes to your course enrollment and the mailing of transcripts and diplomas. You can still eat, get into your residence hall, access canvas, and attend classes. 

How do I make a payment and what forms of payment do you accept?

At the UBO (Student Success Center, Room 5100) we accept only cash, check, or FLEX (fine payment only). You can log into Madison Money Manager (M3) as a student through MyMadison, as an authorized user, or as a guest and pay online. We accept credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, AmericanExpress, or Discover) and echeck. There is a 2.75% service fee for paying by credit or debit card, but no service charge for echeck.

We also have an installment payment plan available through M3. For more information please visit the payment plan page.

International payments can be made through Western Union Bank and for more information on how to transfer an international payments click the link. 

For more general payment information you can visit our page on payments here.

What is M3 and how do I get there?

M3 is short for Madison Money Manager, our student account portal. There are three ways to access M3: as the student, as an Authorized User, or through the guest payer site.

We have a page located here to help you get to M3 and explain a little more about each type of access. There is also the M3 Tour available that shows you the different parts of the system that you will be able to see.

How do I set up a payment plan?

To set up your payment plan, please go to our payment plan page and see more information on the plan as well as how to enroll.

I am trying to set up a payment plan and I don't have a statement, what do I do?

In order to have the payment plan be beneficial but also conclude before the end of the semester, the first payment is scheduled before the statements are posted for the semester.

If you are setting up the payment plan before statements are created you can use the information found on the rates page for the current year to estimate the total costs. Subtract from that any funds you are receiving from Financial Aid and other sources (external scholarships, 529s, other relatives, etc.) to calculate the amount you should use for your payment plan.

If you have any questions about this or would like assistance in calculating your estimate, please feel free to contact our office at or by phone at 540/568-6505 and we will be happy to help you. If you find that your payment plan needs to be adjusted once the statement for the semester is available in M3, please contact our office to make any necessary adjustments.

I accidentally made two echeck payments, can you cancel the second payment?

We can cancel echeck payments the same business day they are made, but not after.  If you accidentally made an echeck payment, notify us immediately to have the best odds of having it canceled. We can refund the echeck overpayment 15 business days after the payment is made. The refund will go to the student via their refund selection in HigherOne. 

Why don't payments reduce the amount due on the statement?

The electronic statement behaves in the same way a paper statement would. It shows the student account status as of the statement date. Activity since the last statement can be viewed in the Account Detail section of Madison Money Manager - M3.

How will I get my refund?

All of our student refunds are sent to the student through BankMobile Disbursements via the refund method preference the student has selected. Each student has three options for receiving their refund: direct deposit to their personal checking account, paper check, or direct deposit into a BankMobile checking account (BankMobile Vibe account).

All three options require the student to log on to using the personal code sent to them in the green envelope the summer before their first year here. If a new personal code is needed, the student can stop by our office or email us from their student email account to request a new one.

For more information on refunding and BankMobile please visit our refunds page.