LOOK FOR THE GREEN ENVELOPE – KEEP THE BLACK CARD!
- All refunds will be processed by JMU’s vendor - Higher One. Students will be mailed a Green Envelope from Higher One containing a personalized black plastic card. This card is necessary to select the refund preference. Students will need to log on to MyOneMoney.com using the number on the card and their personal student information to select a refund preference. After logging on to the website, students will be prompted to select one of the three methods to receive their refund. Even students who don’t expect to receive a refund need to set up a refund preference or retain the black plastic card in the event a selection is required. Please make sure to keep the card in a safe place! There will be a $20 fee for a new card if you require on after activating it.
- Existing bank account for direct deposit (2-3 days),
- Higher One bank account for direct deposit (1 day),
- Paper check mailed to the student’s home address (5-7 days).
- If no selection is made with the Higher One card, then the refund will be held for 21 days or until a selection is made, whichever comes first. After 21 days a paper check will be mailed to the address where the card was mailed.
- If you are receiving a refund that resulted from a credit card payment, the refund can only be credited back to the card used to make the original payment. The service fee charged to make the original payment is non-refundable.
- Personal payment refunds may be requested by the student 15 business days after the payment is posted to the student's account. The request must be made by letter, fax, or email to the University Business Office.
- Students will be notified of the refund by e-mail; if they have not activated their account on MyOneMoney.com using the black card they will be prompted to do so then. If their account is activated and a preference has been chosen, the refund will processed according to their refund choice.
- If the student has not selected a preference and no longer has the initial card that was mailed to them, they can stop by the UBO or send an email to email@example.com from their student email account to request an activation code be emailed to their student email account. This code will be good for 24 hours after its issuance.
- Students can also check to determine the status of the refund through their MyMadison account and click on your Student Center and under the finances section click on M3 - My Student Account.
- Refunds for PLUS loans will be mailed via check to the address on file for the parent borrower by Higher One.
- Refund checks which are mailed and returned to Higher One by the post office for insufficient address will be attempted to re-deliver for 21 days by Higher One.
- Refunds may be generated for Title IV funds while there is still a balance due on the account. Federal regulations require us to receive written permission from the student (or the parent borrower in the case of a Parent PLUS Loan) to use Title IV money to pay charges other than tuition, room, and board.
- Credit balances generated from Title IV funds must be refunded within 14 days of disbursement unless we receive written permission from the student (or the parent borrower in the case of a Parent PLUS Loan) to hold the credit balance on the student account. With or without this written permission, any credit balance generated by Title IV funds must be refunded at the end of the aid year.
- Either one of these permissions may be cancelled at any time.
- Watch as Duke Dog selects his Refund Preference with HigherOne!