Skip to Main Content

Major Guides

You are in the main content

Interdisciplinary Liberal Studies (B.S.)

Enlarge Font

Concentrations: For Inclusive Early Childhood (preK-3 and birth-5 special education) Elementary (preK-6), Middle (6-8) and Special Education licensure

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.

JMU CourseVCCS CourseRBC CourseNotes
WRTC 103ENG 112ENGL 101ENG 111 is the prerequisite for ENG 112, and transfers as WRTC 100.
SCOM 121, 122, or 123CST 100 or CST 105 or CST 110 or CST 115SPCH 101 or 201
ENG 235, 236, 247, 248, 239, or 260ENG 241 or ENG 242 or ENG 243 or ENG 244 or ENG 245 or ENG 246 or ENG 251 or ENG 252 or ENG 253 or ENG 255 or ENG 257ENGL 202, 203, 204, 205, or 206
HIST 101, 102 HIS 111, 112No equivalentMiddle Education requires only HIST 102 (HIS 112)
HIST 225HIS 121 and 122HIST 201 and 202Middle Education requires either HIST 225 or POSC 225
POSC 225PLS 130 or PLS 135 or PLS 211GOVT 201Middle Education requires either POSC 225 or HIST 225
ECON 200 or 201ECO 201 or ECO 202ECON 201 or 202Middle Education requires ECON 200 (VCCS - ECO 201; RBC - ECON 201)
GEOG 200, 280 or ANTH 195GEO 210 or GEO 220 or GEO 221 or GEO 222 or SOC 210 or SOC 211 or SOC 212GEO 103Not required for Middle Education
PSYC 160PSY 230 or PSY 231 and 232PSY 250
HTH 100HLT 110 or HLT 116 or HLT 160HLTH 225 or PE 109 or 117
MATH 207MTH 151 and 157, or MTH 151 and 240, or MTH 151 and 241, or MTH 152 and 157, or MTH 152 and 240, or MTH 152 and 241No equivalentCredit must be earned in both courses in order to meet the requirement.
There are two additional math courses that IdLS majors must take at JMU: MATH 107 and 108, Fundamentals of Math I-II.
See note #3 for students interested in the Math/Science or Mathematics concentration.
ISCI 171GOL 105 or GOL 106 or GOL 110No equivalent
ISCI 172CHM 101 or CHM 110 or PHY 100 or PHY 101 or PHY 121 or PHY 201CHEM 101, 101L
ISCI 173BIO 101 or BIO 105 or BIO 106 or BIO 145BIO 101, 101L
ISCI 104Credit is given for 104 (1-credit lab) through the above courses except for CHM 110.
EDUC 300 EDU 200No equivalent
EXED 200CHD 210No equivalentRequired for Inclusive Early Childhood and Special Education.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. Students must major in IDLS and complete a pre-professional education program in inclusive early childhood, elementary, middle or special[1] education in order to meet licensure requirements. Middle education has slightly different requirements; check course notes above.
2. Students interested in the Mathematics concentrations and Algebra I endorsement may take the equivalent of MATH 135 (MTH 166 or 168 in the VCCS).
3. Students who transfer without a transferable associate degree may have to take additional courses to complete JMU's general education requirements.

[1] IdLS is the recommended major for special education, but students may choose a different major in consultation with their advisor.

For more information:

Major Snapshot
Interdisciplinary Liberal Studies
Early, Elementary and Reading Education
Middle Education
Exceptional Education
Admission to Teacher Education
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Interdisciplinary Liberal Studies
Advising guides by community college

JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students