Filling out the I-9 Form Correctly
The I-9 form must be completed on or before the employee's first day of work. All new employees are required to complete this form. The Office of International Programs (International Students & Scholars) will complete the I-9 form for international students.
- No white out is allowed. Please cross out mistakes and initial and date it.
- Only blue or black ink is allowed. Please do not type it.
- No highlighter.
- Please print the I-9 on white paper. The list of acceptable documents should be copied on the back of the form so that the employee is able to review them.
- Please download the form from the Student Employment Website to ensure you are using the most recent version.
- The employer is responsible for viewing original documents.
- The employer is not able to request specific documents. Employees are able to choose any document from the list of acceptable documents (either one document from List A or a document from List B and List C).
- Due to the implementation of E-Verify, the following is now required:
1. All new hires are now required to provide a social security number in Section 1.
2. ANY List B document that employees present to show identity MUST contain a photo.
3. The hiring department will need to make a copy of the documents presented and attach to the I9.
Reasons the I-9 form may be returned to you:
- An old version of the I-9 form is used.
- The I-9 form is filled out using pencil or ink in colors other than blue or black.
- Any part of the I-9 form, other than the business address, is typed.
- The I-9 form is a fax or copy. Only originals will be accepted.
- Any applicable portion of Section 1 is left blank:
- Address is not their home address (i.e. work address)
- No date of birth
- Not checking off the work authorization box
- Not entering Alien or Admission numbers when needed
- Not entering the work eligibility expiration date when needed
- Missing employee’s signature or date
- Transposing the date of signature with the date of birth
- No social security number
- Section 2 Problems:
- Insufficient document title (i.e. Driver’s License).
- Lack of issuing authority, document # or expiration dates, when needed
- Only List B filled in or only List C filled in.(Remember, it must be B + C)
- Filling in List B with a List C document or vice versa.
- Lack of signature, printed name, title, business/organization name, and date the employer signs.