ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP AND SUSTAINABILITY AT JMU
MISSION, VISION, AND GOAL
Office of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability Mission: Facilitate sustainability by advocating for environmental stewardship priorities; coordinating reporting and recognition of the sustainability-related efforts of the JMU community, and encouraging engagement of all members of the JMU community in sustainability education and environmental stewardship.
Campus Environmental Stewardship Vision Our community members and observers will think critically about environmental stewardship and act as stewards of the natural world.
Campus Environmental Stewardship Goal: Via our institutional and personal actions, educational programs, scholarship, and service, we will promote environmental education, model environmental responsibility, and challenge our community members and observers to think critically about their role in environmental stewardship.
The Office of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability (OESS) is a department in the Access and Enrollment Management Division.
To further collective efforts of the institution, the OESS:
- tracks, reports and assesses progress on environmental stewardship.
- facilitates strategic planning related to environmental stewardship.
- coordinates special projects. Example: East Campus Hillside Naturalization, Campus Energy Assessment, and Combined Heat and Power Feasibility studies.
- obtains resources and builds internal and external partnerships that enhance environmental stewardship capacity.
- represents JMU’s environmental stewardship and sustainability efforts externally.
- coordinates the Institute for Stewardship of the Natural World (ISNW), the university stakeholder committees who advance environmental stewardship via annual recommendations and via programs that advocate for best environmental practices.
- organizes, co-sponsors, and participates in a rich array of activities and events related to environmental stewardship and sustainability.
- assists with funding searches and applications related to environmental stewardship and sustainability.
- assists with accessing campus information and resources related to environmental stewardship and sustainability, such as the East Campus Hillside and Science on a Sphere Theater.
- provides conference presentation support for students, faculty and staff.
These definitions are drawn from Merriam Webster's
online dictionary at www.merriam-webster.com
- Talloires Declaration
- JMU Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
- Among JMU Policies are multiple policies that address environmental stewardship, such as:
1310: Alternative Work Schedules
1701: Sustainable Procurement
1702: Water Use & Leak Prevention
1703: Sustainable Construction
1704: Energy Use
1705: Bottled Water Use
3108: Health and Safety