Foreign Language Placement Exams

Taking an Exam


Foreign Language Placement Exams(FLPEs) are offered in order to determine the placement
of a student who is continuing the study of a language at JMU. The FLPEs are not graded and they do not give students credit.

You will need to take a Foreign Language Placement Exam if all of the following are true:

  • If you plan to continue studying your high school language at JMU.
  • You've taken 2 or more years of Spanish, French, German or Russian in high school.
  • If you have not taken the SATII for the language you studied in high school.

Note for Orientation Students following the One Book Checklist:

If you have determined you do not need to take a foreign language placement exam,
you can simply skip the FLPE step on the One Book Checklist and go on to the next step.
Not having that step checked off will not prevent you from completing the other steps.

Not sure if you need to take
the Foreign Language Placement Exam?

Answer these questions to find out.

International Students and Heritage Speakers
should look here for information.

If you are already sure that you want or need to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam,
you may proceed to the instructions.
You will need to log into the next page with your JMU e-ID and password.
(The same ID and password you use with MyMadison.)

Stephany Plecker
Director,Language Learning Center
James Madison University
Keezell Hall, Room 301, MSC 1802
Phone: (540) 568-3578
Fax: (540) 568-6904
Last Modified: 2/15/14
Privacy Statement